[Development] How to create dummy plugins in qtbase?

Kyle Edwards kyle.edwards at kitware.com
Sun Oct 28 18:59:07 CET 2018

Hello all,

I am currently working on improving Qt's CMake support, and I've written
some rather complicated logic that I want to test thoroughly -
specifically, I want to make sure that an exact list of plugins that I've
requested has been statically loaded, no more, and no less. The easiest way
to do this would be to create a new dummy Qt module which contains a bunch
of dummy plugins for me to load. However, I'm not sure how to create a new
Qt module that's visible to the tests without also being installed/visible
outside the tests.

I've attempted to hack together an external project outside the qtbase tree
that creates some plugins, but I'm not very familiar with qmake, and in its
current state it is installing its plugins into the qtbase build tree,
which is undesirable (I want it to install them into its own build tree
instead.) Can someone who's more familiar with qmake help me out here?
Thank you very much.

Kyle