[Development] QUIP 12: Code of Conduct

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Oct 28 20:10:00 CET 2018

On Sunday, 28 October 2018 08:36:17 PDT André Pönitz wrote:
> That would be a valid reason in case there had been or we would
> expect to be unstoppable abusive behaviour.
>
> Most abusive behaviour on the mailing lists and IRC can be
> stopped by technical means, in exceptional cases like the recent
> spam attack on FreeNode also a coc won't help.

Spam is pretty obvious, since spammy messages are off-topic and the spammer is
not going to bother contesting the filter.

But if it isn't spam, what gives the list moderator the right to intervene in
something that he/she believes is abusive behaviour? Same thing about IRC: we
do have one annoying person who does come along every now and then, but most
of his messages are just that: annoyance. It's only when he uses profanity
that I feel justified in kicking him out of the channel.

Am I the one abusing my position as channel op to kick him? Am I being
arbitrary?

> > We need a formal procedure to enable that, and the CoC is that
> > procedure.
>
> This "we" needs qualification. It apparently does not include me.

Of course it does. Why do you feel excluded? Or did you mean you feel you
don't need a procedure?