[Development] QUIP 12: Code of Conduct

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Oct 29 04:52:53 CET 2018

On Sunday, 28 October 2018 16:53:01 PDT Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 10:45 PM Thiago Macieira
>
> <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> > And I'm pretty sure the KDE Community WG can easily compile a list of
> > times
> > that they were maliciously asked to look into situations and how much time
> > it took them to give it the attention it was due.
>
> I don't have an exact number but less than 10. And we could always
> deal with it very quickly thanks to some common sense and good
> knowledge of the situation and people involved. No big deal.

Hi Lydia

Thanks for chiming in.

Note I asked about malicious request to the CWG, not legitimate ones. I mean
baseless accusations, based on no actual fact, just attempts to smear someone
or generate useless expediture of people's time. Has that happened, at all? If
so, how long did the committee spend addressing it? How much effort was put
into it?

Maybe we can also expand to accusations that, though not malicious, were found
not to be under the CoC's purview, like asking someone to be removed due to
some action on their personal time.

> PS: As someone on the fringes of the Qt Project some emails in this
> thread sadly make me see part of the project in a different light. I
> fear I'm not the only one.

You must remember we discussion we had in KDE 10 years ago. As I wrote in my
email here, I was one of those not convinced of the need to have a text at
all, and I do think several other proeminent community members were like me.
But the discussion went through and we were won out. Now I see the value of it
that I didn't then.

Almost all the emails in this thread have been civil and willing to engage in
discussion, though not without some language barriers sometimes. I'm not
seeing anyone in a different light as I did a week ago.