[Development] QUIP 12: Code of Conduct

Frederik Gladhorn Frederik.Gladhorn at qt.io
Mon Oct 29 18:00:43 CET 2018

Hi all,

I would like to thank the people who have started this discussion. For me this
is a very positive thing and a step forward for the Qt community.
I really enjoy being part of the community. I want it to continue to be the
great group of people that it is today. And hopefully bigger, more diverse and
inclusive going forward.
I am very sure that a big silent majority does support this initiative. Again,
thank you!

Reading through the mails (an impressive amount), I feel there is consensus
towards the KDE CoC. I also appreciate the positive wording.

Maybe we don't need many more mails in this thread, I have the feeling we will
not discover a whole lot of new information at this point. I'd like us to move
on to the next constructive phase of this process. Let's adopt the more
positively phrased CoC from KDE. It is under a license that allows us to use
it and is clearly meant to be picked up by others.

I am happy that so many people have strong opinions on our culture and value
it. For me this is about culture, how we treat each other. That is what being
a community is all about. We have a common goal - making Qt the best it can
be, and nobody is able to do that alone. We will always have some style of
communication in the project. I am happy when I see positive reviews. In my
opinion that can be a -1 with good comments which problems to address. Let's
set ourselves a high standard, on the communication side as well as on the
technical one.
I hope we use this as an opportunity to remind ourselves that in reviews we
should give ideas what to improve (and how). Reviews are important to share
knowledge, which is important to us as community. In emails we should be
respectful, on the forums sensible and so on. I think we mostly succeed
nowadays.

Moving on... we should find out how to deal with the occasional problems that
might arise. I do think that we want to establish some form of enforcement. I
firmly believe that the first means of action in all cases will be an email or
two, just to clarify the situation. Maybe a phone call. Often enough conflicts
turn out to be small misunderstandings and we want a reasonable small group of
people that keeps things confidential and just nudges people to talk to each
other and move on.

Only when everything goes wrong should stronger measures ever be considered.
Thus we want a group we can trust with making sensible decisions in how to
uphold the CoC. I would want them to have some diplomatic skills, respect
privacy and be sensitive to different cultures - good communicators.

Cheers,
Frederik