[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Ola Røer Thorsen ola at silentwings.no
Mon Oct 29 22:53:47 CET 2018

This is _really_ disappointing news. I'd be happy to see qmake go, now
this.

We (at work, commercial Qt license) recently ported a rather big build
system to Qbs, replacing qmake and scons. We now have good IDE integration
for all our projects in QtCreator, both the Qt-based applications as well
as pure C/C++-based projects for desktop, embedded Linux and "bare metal"
embedded. We spent some time debugging and reporting/fixing bugs in Qbs
too. Now with Qbs 1.12.0 we're having good and stable results. Incremental
builds are _very_ fast. Project files are easy to set up, read and extend,
even with custom code generation rules, things we never were able to do
with (even undocumented) qmake. It's really impressive.

Well I guess all that was for nothing, let's rewrite the build system next
year again, and make really sure not to embrace new Qt technologies so fast
next time.

Cheers,
Ola