[Development] Build system for Qt 6

resurrection at centrum.cz resurrection at centrum.cz
Tue Oct 30 06:29:39 CET 2018

Honestly I feel very disappointed as well with this decision. I feel similarly to others, Qbs is now being phased out so fast (half a year of development, another half a year of maintanance after that it seems). So better get to porting stuff to CMake right away. Having experience with CMake this is gonna be very ugly...

What I do not understand is why the decision was qmake + cmake in the first place. Why not Qbs + CMake? Was not the qmake deemed unmaintainable? It is perfectly understandable to tap into wide CMake user base but why ditching Qbs and not qmake? I wouldn't expect people would mourn qmake...

Oh and on the point of CMake. Lets write a simple if statement as per docs:

set(var1 "Hello")
set(var2 "Hello")
if(var1 EQUAL var2)
    message("They are equal")
endif()

Guess what, it prints NOTHING despite docs explicitly saying this should work. Nothig will help, STREQUAL, MATCHES, dereferencing the arguments, whatever. This will work:

string(COMPARE EQUAL ${var1} ${var2} _cmp)
if (_cmp)
    message("They are equal")
endif()

Yeah, fortunately there is a wide knowledge how to work around this kind of stuff. There are MANY other things like that that will make you cry when writing even simple things in CMake's "language". Not to mention CMake is not a build system, Qbs is.

Anyway, what's done is done I guess.
Michael