[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Konstantin Shegunov kshegunov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 18:26:15 CET 2018

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 6:41 PM Oswald Buddenhagen <Oswald.Buddenhagen at qt.io>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 12:17:04PM +0000, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > and investment in promoting it towards the larger C++ ecosystem as a
> > new build tool.
> >
> nonsense.
> all the promotion qbs would need is being used to build qt.

Context:
I don't really have a stake in this argument - I'm a qmake user that
doesn't *much* care about the build system, but I'll throw my 2 cents in.
For me cmake is good because many projects are already using it, meaning
that there's not a new technology to learn for many developers. Also it's
powerful, even to the point of being dangerous (I've seen quite the
abominations). On the minus side - it's rather complicated and the syntax
is abysmal.

Argument:
>From my point of view qbs is doomed as long as qmake's alive. Either kill
qmake and force the developers using Qt (or developing Qt) to use qbs, with
all its quirks, or live with the fact that people don't want to spend the
time learning a new technology if they don't have to. That's leaving the
pure enthusiasm about something cool aside. Not forcing the issue, in my
opinion, is the reason for the inevitable demise of qbs. And that's exactly
in line with the situation about makefiles: everybody's still using them
underneath the build tools, and pretty much everybody is hating them, but
at the end of day they work and there's little incentive to switch; known
is *safe* but ultimately hinders change.