[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 30 22:07:16 CET 2018

On Tuesday, 30 October 2018 13:47:00 PDT Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 12:53:48PM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 30 October 2018 12:29:46 PDT Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > doesn't authorize you to impose requirements that make it basically
> > > impossible to employ qt as a bootstrapping device for a qbs
> > > ecosystem.
> >
> > The whole point was "let Qt not be the guinea pig".
>
> you're essentially presuming that qbs is developed by a potentially
> incompetent external entity.

No. However, I am asking for proof.

> > Show me that the tool can achieve what Qt needs for it to achieve
>
> qtbase//wip/qbs2 speaks for itself.

That's the guinea pig. I am asking for proof by seeing someone else adopt it.
The tool is now several years old, it ought to have attracted *someone*.

And even if it hasn't, there are a couple of years left until we switch for
Qt. The community supporting this tool can find other projects of moderate
complexity to work with and support.

> > and has enough of a track record of a community to ask for help.
>
> it has enough "community" and intrinsic quality to get things going.

I'm not disputing it has quality. But it lacks a specific community I called
for: packagers.

Tell me, has anyone tried to build that branch in the Boot2Qt context?

> asking for more is completely unreasonable before the community from
> which the tool originates shows committment by *relying* on it. and as
> the current situation shows, everyone who didn't trust the story was
> *right*.

I disagree and I find it completely reasonable to ask. That's why I did so.

And yes, they were right: if qbs is created for Qt alone, then they shouldn't
rely on it. Hence the request to show that it can be used by others and that
there's at least a modest community behind it.

There has been enough time to get more adoption and there's still time left.
So get someone else to adopt it.