[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 30 22:27:05 CET 2018

On Tuesday, 30 October 2018 13:56:45 PDT NIkolai Marchenko wrote:
> > and has enough of a track record of a community to ask for help.
>
> You quite literally have the system's developer in house.
> Why do you even need to rely on the community so much?
> I'd understand if qbs was an external tool, but that's not the case.

Because it's a sign of maturity. If the only people who can solve any problem
are the handful of people who work for the company that developed it, we have
a serious Bus Factor problem. And guess what? It's exactly what's happening
right now.

Ossi and several others are right that qbs was never given a proper chance. It
hasn't.

The only thing I'm criticising is that its proper chance involves Qt being the
guinea pig. Find someone else instead and grow your community. Get track
record for building, cross-compiling, working with weird set ups,
containerised build environments, build farms, etc. Don't ask Qt to switch to
it until you've done that work.