[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 30 23:11:19 CET 2018

On Tuesday, 30 October 2018 14:57:01 PDT Christian Gagneraud wrote:
> > Looking at the fact, that we can’t earn money on a build system and that
> > it would require quite a lot of funding to make it more than a niche
> > product it doesn’t make sense to pursue it further. Instead we would
> > rather use the money to improve Qt and Qt Creator.
> This doesn't add up, why did you develop and still develop and
> maintain 'coin' then?
> You're not making money with it. It's costing you (a lot?) and is a
> critical part of your QA infra.

I think the answer is simple: none of the alternatives worked. COIN is not the
first CI system we've had, it's actually the third.

I don't remember a discussion on the benefits and drawbacks of similar
solutions (like Jenkins) at the time COIN was adopted. There may have been an
analysis done inside TQtC I am not aware of (mostly because I'm not interested
in).