[Development] Who is in charge of qt-project.org?

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 22:50:26 CET 2018

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 05:28, Kain Vampire via Development
<development at qt-project.org> wrote:

> WHAT A TWAT!
>
> P.S.
>
> Yes, feel free to ban me, it was worth it.

Was it?

You could have used the word 'idiot', at least it is not an insult to
the feminine gender.
You could have as well quoted which part of the message you didn't
like. I'm taking you didn't like part 2.
This was obviously a provocative statement, but it was not an insult.

I still stand that the qt-projects.org domain should not be managed
(directly or indirectly) by the Qt Company, there is a clear conflict
of interest.
Something that has been raised several times in the past (Check the
mailing list archives about the captive/deceptive portal hat is/was
the Qt's download page).
lists.qt-projects.org has had issue for more than a month, and
(suddenly) got resolved overnight.
[Side note: http stopped to redirect to https, but https is still
down, which means that https urls returned by search engine are
broken. Whoever runs codereview.qt-project.org has access to a
wildcard ssl certificate (*.qt-project.org), but it seems that whoever
runs lists.qt-project.org doesn't.]

As an experience, try to type "download qt" in you favorite search
engine, and tell me what you get, here is my top results:
https://www.qt.io/download
https://www1.qt.io/offline-installers/
https://download.qt.io/archive/qt/
qt-project.org/downloads

The interesting bit is that  qt-project.org/downloads redirects to
https://www.qt.io/download.

Basically, qt-projects.org is just a facade to qt.io, I think this is
not healthy. There is no public expression of the "Qt Project".
Concerning, the "Qt Project Hosting Foundation", i've found:
https://wiki.qt.io/Qt-contributors-summit-2014-QtCS2104_Foundation
https://investors.qt.io/governance/management/ (where it is mentioned
that Tuukka Turunen is a "Chairman of the Board of Directors in the Qt
Project Hosting Foundation")
http://website.informer.com/Cristina+Hamley+Qt+Project+Hosting+Foundation.html

Chris

PS: I do not hate the Qt Company, nor do I hate anyone working for
them. Without license, without money, there would be no "Qt Company",
and without "Qt Company", the "Qt Project" would be substantially
different. As a license owner and an OSS enthusiast I am thankful to
the Qt Company and to all numerous direct and indirect "Qt Project"
contributors.