[Development] Orphan modules

Tor Arne Vestbø Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io
Wed Sep 12 12:37:00 CEST 2018

On 12 Sep 2018, at 11:02, Edward Welbourne <edward.welbourne at qt.io> wrote:
>> With the proposed solution of making platform plugins libraries with
>> their own private headers, we can have these apis closer to the
>> platform code, and without lots of plumbing and indirection.
>
> Sounds promising.

I don’t think I’ve written anything down yet on that, so here’s a first stab:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-70518

>> I think the qtmacextras module in particular should be deprecated
>> ASAP, and will strongly oppose any new APIs added to it.
>
> Use of passive voice - "should be" - perhaps a better plan would be to
> actively submit the patches to make it happen, or file a task in Jira
> for it.  Even if there's no release branch ready for them, having
> patches on dev gives relevant folk notice of your intent; and it might
> give a focus for like-minded folk to co-ordinate the pre-requisites of
> that change,

Absolutely, I will try to find some time to deprecate parts of QtMacExtras. I assume I’m still allowed to have opinions on how to proceed on areas that I’m not personally able to take direction action on? 😊

Tor Arne