[Development] Orphan modules

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Sep 12 17:38:03 CEST 2018

On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 01:44:36 PDT Gatis Paeglis wrote:
> > With the proposed solution of making platform plugins libraries with their
> > own private headers, we can have these apis closer to the platform code,
> > and without lots of plumbing and indirection. I think the qtmacextras
> > module in particular should be deprecated ASAP, and will strongly oppose
> > any new APIs added to it.
> +1 for deprecating qtx11extras as well and moving the code closer to actual
> plugin. It is frustrating to have all that boilerplate code for 1 header
> file - qx11info_x11.h

I was going to say we needed replacement API for it, but I realise the
QX11EmbedContainer is not there. Since people have lived for the last 6 years
without it in Qt 5, it doesn't seem we really need a replacement.

What do applications do if they need to XEmbed another application's window
(for example, VirtualBox for the guest window)? And how do they find out the
real pixel size of it, in case scaling is active?