[Development] Supporting helper functions in auto tests by providing throwing Qt Test macros

Mitch Curtis mitch.curtis at qt.io
Wed Apr 3 10:12:54 CEST 2019

That's definitely an option, it just means that you no longer get the additional, more specific warning at the location of the call site of the helper, which can make finding the exact location of the failure a bit confusing if the test calls the helper several times.

For example, this:

   FAIL!  : tst_App::openClose(ImageType) 'animationPanel->isVisible()' returned FALSE. ()
      Loc: [/home/mitch/dev/slate/tests/shared/testhelper.cpp(1990)]
   WARNING: tst_App::openClose(ImageType) createNewProject(projectType)
      Loc: [/home/mitch/dev/slate/tests/auto/tst_app.cpp(258)]

might become this:

   FAIL!  : tst_App::openClose(ImageType) 'animationPanel->isVisible()' returned FALSE. ()
      Loc: [/home/mitch/dev/slate/tests/shared/testhelper.cpp(1990)]

On the other hand... we could keep the QCHECK_EXCEPTION macro but make it optional to use it, so those who wanted the more exact failure location could get it, and those who don't don't need to bother with it.