[Development] Supporting helper functions in auto tests by providing throwing Qt Test macros

Mitch Curtis mitch.curtis at qt.io
Thu Apr 4 08:43:23 CEST 2019

It doesn't really matter if they've always been documented that way. Users should follow the documentation, not the implementation.

> It's probably worth having a macro with which to wrap code, that'll catch any
> exception it raises, add the current location to what'll be output to log the
> failure and then rethrows.  This would give us the extra file/line information
> that your proposed macro gives, compared to a naive throw/catch solution
> (where the failure throws and TestLib's driver system catches, reporting the
> helper but not its caller).

What would the effective difference be from QCHECK_EXCEPTION in the proposed patch, in terms of behaviour and output?

> I think the idea of rewriting TestLib (including the existing QFAIL, QCOMPARE,
> QVERIFY and friends) to use exceptions in Qt6 is a good way forward; adding
> some convenience macro for currentTestFailed() checks is probably sufficient
> to make helper functions easier to use until then.

The currentTestFailed() macro is a nice idea, but it's not sufficient if your helpers call other functions, because then you have to wrap every call site of those functions with the macro.