[Development] A deployment tool for Linux

Mitch Curtis mitch.curtis at qt.io
Thu Apr 11 10:31:47 CEST 2019

I think it's better to have a tool that does *something* with a documented, limited scope than offer nothing at all.

Then again, I know very little about shipping applications on Linux. I've either been building statically (which it turns out you still need to bundle libs that are dynamically linked like ICU) or using linuxdeployqt, and I only bother supporting Ubuntu because that's what I use.

On 4/10/19, 8:35 PM, "André Pönitz" <apoenitz at t-online.de> wrote:

    On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 08:13:01AM +0000, Mitch Curtis wrote:
    > What do people think about having a deployment tool for Linux?

    I, as a person, think that a "deployment tool for Linux" is
    something that spits out packages in half a dozen "native"
    distribution package formats.

    Collecting "resources that the application uses (like [...]
    graphics, [...]" *and dependencies* would be a (important)
    step, but not all that it takes.

    Andre'