[Development] Supported compilers for Qt 6

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Mon Aug 12 14:07:51 CEST 2019

On Monday, 12 August 2019 09:58:39 CEST Lars Knoll wrote:
> I’d personally be favour of using newer version of gcc/clang, but I’m not
> sure we gain a lot with it, as Apple clang is then probably the limiting
> factor. But we could upgrade that to Apple Clang 11 as well.

Yeah, I was looking through https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support
for good c++20 features we might chose to opt-in on. At first it looked like
there was a few promising options:

explicit(bool): We use some ugly patterns in places to simulate this.
Requires gcc 9, clang 9, MSVC 19.22

char8_t: This has potential to break a bunch of stuff if we don't handle it
explicitly, as per previous discussion it might be hard to handle with ifdefs.
Requires gcc 9, clang 7, MSVC 19.22

Integrating feature-test macros: Could make >c++17 feature detection more
elegant.
Requires gcc 5, clang 3.4, MSVC 19.20

But then I noticed, they are all still missing from Apple clang 11 :(

So, yes. Apple clang is the new minimum setter. What a world.

'Allan