[Development] Supported compilers for Qt 6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Aug 12 17:11:38 CEST 2019

On Monday, 12 August 2019 00:45:01 PDT Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> Why not the latest for all the compilers, like gcc 9 and clang 8? I assumed
> we would use the 5.15 LTS to justify requiring the latest available
> compiler on all platforms.
>
> Especially clang 6 is a bit old. I know for msvc-clang we already pretty
> much assume clang-cl 8. But we have not automated testing of non-apple
> clang, so it often breaks due to extra warnings or genuine clang bugs.

Dropping Clang 6 would drop support for FreeBSD 12.0, which is the current
version today. There is nothing newer (ports tree may have something, but it's
not the system compiler).

I think we should aim for something that is modern, but not bleeding edge
today. For a release in late 2020, we should expect that people may want to
use with close-to-2-year-old Linux distros. I would prefer they didn't, but I
think it's reasonable for us to assume they did.

We should also specifically look into what the very long term support Linux
distributions and Android SDKs use.

 - Debian 10 (July 2019): GCC 8.3.0
 - RHEL 8 (May 2019): GCC 8.2.1
 - SLES 15 (June 2018): GCC 7.3.1