[Development] Qt PDF as a new TP module for Qt 5.14

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Aug 13 20:54:08 CEST 2019

On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 09:43:35 PDT Lars Knoll wrote:
> > Because I don't want to see us undermine a nice open source project that
> > is
> > struggling to find contributors by promoting a worse alternative just
> > because it can be sold.
>
> Poppler is not usable by any of Qt’s commercial customers, and there’s quite
> some demand for PDF viewing capabilities.

I understand that. But read again what I said: I don't want us to undermine a
good project with a poor alternative just because it can be sold.

> I don’t think we should be blocking valid projects/ideas because of that. In
> any case, from all I know, PDFium is feature wise competitive. In any case,
> the qt-labs module already exists, the question was simply whether we
> should merge it into the web engine module for ease of building and start
> supporting it.

I'm only waiting for someone to post that analysis. Without one, -1.

> > Cool. Can you share a bit of the roadmap? What are the features that have
> > been implemented, which ones you do plan on adding anyway and which ones
> > probably need a customer to get behind and push?
>
> The code is out there in the qt-labs repo. A quick glance at
> https://github.com/qt-labs/qtpdf/tree/dev/src/pdf might give you some idea
> of the supported features.

I was being lazy and asking for a summary. I don't have time to go inspect the
source code.

And I did ask for the roadmap, which implies things that *aren't* there.