[Development] Technical vision for Qt for Python

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Aug 20 03:44:27 CEST 2019

Jason H wrote:
> I also have to point out that there was a statement made by Lars to make
> QML [more] strongly typed. I had expected that from the beginning, that
> Python would be the scripting language of QML, not Javascript[0],

I don't see how Python is inherently more strongly typed than JavaScript.
Python variables are untyped, method calls are duck-typed and hence work
with any type that happens to implement the called method. The variable
contents at a specific point in time are typed at runtime, but that is not
strong typing. Any type mismatches are only caught when you actually run the
code, just as in JavaScript. And the type of a variable can also change each
time it is reassigned, just as in JavaScript.

Python now has the typing module which allows you to set type hints, but
they are not directly part of the language and in particular not enforced by
default. (You have to actually run some static type checker explicitly to
validate them.) The module is also provisional, which means that the API is
subject to change.

        Kevin Kofler