[Development] Dropping MinGW support in Qt 6 (Was: HEADS-UP: QStringLiteral)

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 21:22:10 CEST 2019

Den ons 21 aug. 2019 kl 20:52 skrev Henry Skoglund <henry at tungware.se>:

> Please, don't drop MinGW, it's in my meaning the best compiler on Windows.
>
> I've switched from VS to MinGW, the #1 reason: I can distribute an .exe
> file which is runnable directly on the user's desktop (no installation).
> This is *verboten* when using VS, you have to send along the
> distribution dlls (ucrtbase.dll etc.) and install them.

Why not just ship those DLLs? I wouldn't call that "verboten"
(forbidden), just a bit more to do for deployment.

We do app-local deployment (putting the DLLs next to our application),
which is still supported, and makes it possible for us to deliver a
portable ZIP in addition to an installer. You don't have to go the
route of launching the redistributables installer.

To make it less inconvenient we use CMake's
InstallRequiredSystemLibraries module along with setting
CMAKE_INSTALL_UCRT_LIBRARIES to make sure the Universal CRT DLLs are
also bundled.

Elvis