[Development] HEADS-UP: QStringLiteral

Arnaud Clere arnaud.clere at minmaxmedical.com
Thu Aug 22 09:00:45 CEST 2019

-----Original Message-----
> From: Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru>
> > The creeping STLization of Qt (deprecating some classes for STL
> > alternatives, using STL classes in some APIs, etc.) is also part of
> > this disturbing trend. It typically regresses both ease of use and API
> > consistency in the name of the holy performance cow.
>
> If you don't need performance, don't use C++. For example, consider Qt for Python.

Please stop using such dismissive arguments.
I have been using C++ for decades for a lot of different applications from servers to GUIs.
For GUIs 99% of the code did not need to reason about performance.
For servers, actual performance depended on hardly more than 5-10% of the code...

Clarity and readability was needed in almost all the source!

I love Qt because it allows me to write readable C++ code most of the time.
As André, I'm Ok with not using Qt in the very few places where Qt sacrificed performance for simplicity and performance is actually needed by the application.

Requiring people to use one language for performance and another one for readability is unreasonable for obvious technical and organizational reasons.

Arnaud