[Development] Requiring minimum GCC 7/MinGW (was: Dropping MinGW support in Qt 6 (Was: HEADS-UP: QStringLiteral))

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Aug 24 17:49:24 CEST 2019

On Saturday, 24 August 2019 02:21:13 PDT Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> 23.08.2019, 21:11, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>:
> > On Friday, 23 August 2019 09:04:55 PDT Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> >>  > libgcc on pure MinGW doesn't use winpthreads, it uses Win32.
> >>
> >>  std::thread and co are not implemented for win32, so we use pthreads
> >> version in Coin and distribute it with SDK.
> >
> > We don't use std::thread in Qt, so why are you telling us this?
>
> I'm telling this to correct your misinformation about MinGW variant which we
> are using in CI. However, from this moment I'm not going help you with such
> things and let your figure them out yourself.

Ah, I think I see what you mean. Sorry, I didn't mean to be dense, I just
missed the connection of what you were telling me.

At some point in time, we switched the MinGW runtime from pure Win32 to
winpthreads so that libstdc++'s std::thread implementation would work. Is that
it? That detail wasn't obvious when you first posted.

Anyway, I don't think it matters. If we switch to Clang, then we won't depend
on what threading libgcc uses, and that's even assuming the Clang-built
binaries will use libgcc instead of libcompiler_rt.