[Development] Proposal to deprecate the amazing QApplication::globalStrut

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Wed Dec 4 12:56:06 CET 2019

Hi,

QApplication::globalStrut is a property that has outlived its purpose.

IIRC, then I added that in the early Qt 2 days, anticipating that with Qt/Embedded we might see our widgets landing on touch screens “any moment now”. The idea was to have a global setting that ensured that widgets and other interactables (such as menu items, list items, checkbox markers etc) are at least x,y pixels large.

Well, the world has moved on, and the value has never been consistely used in styles or widgets anyway.

This change deprecates this API for Qt 5.15:

https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/283644

Unless anyone disagrees, this will be followed by a Qt 6 change that purges this from the code.

Cheers,
Volker