[Development] Proposal to deprecate the amazing QApplication::globalStrut

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Thu Dec 5 18:12:53 CET 2019

Il 04/12/19 12:56, Volker Hilsheimer ha scritto:
> IIRC, then I added that in the early Qt 2 days, anticipating that with Qt/Embedded we might see our widgets landing on touch screens “any moment now”. The idea was to have a global setting that ensured that widgets and other interactables (such as menu items, list items, checkbox markers etc) are at least x,y pixels large.
>
> Well, the world has moved on, and the value has never been consistely used in styles or widgets anyway.

Ignoring for a moment the rest of the discussion: does such a value
_make sense_ in the first place?

Qt-provided styles always tried to follow the OS native style, even in
the sizing of the controls. Arbitrarily resizing controls has always
been possible, but generally doing that either violates the guidelines
of the native style (e.g. making a push button 100px high) or breaks the
widget altogether (making a push button 5px high).

In this light, what's the idea of a global minimum size useful for? A
native style should rightfully completely ignore it. A non-native style
could have it a as a tunable parameter, but then, actually, it could
have _any_ amount of tunable parameters (e.g. have a minimum size for
buttons, a minimum size for labels, etc.).

Does anyone have more insights?

Thanks,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts