[Development] MYSQL / MariaDB pre-build plugins

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Dec 30 19:54:23 CET 2019

On Monday, 30 December 2019 12:45:40 -03 Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> And on windows it's currently not possible to link against mariadb since
> the (import) libs are named libmariadb.

Why? Why can't they provide a copy of the file with the different name? It's
not like the name of the file actually matters to what DLL you're loading at
runtime, that information comes from somewhere in the headers.

Anyway, the source option is not relevant. If we need to be able to detect
which one it is so the plugin can successfully build, we can do it. We don't
need a different plugin for that.

Anyway, is the problem that you have to provide libmariadb.so.3 or
mariadb3.dll (I don't know what it's called) instead of libmysqlclient.so.18?
If so, I repeat my earlier suggestion: accept the libmariadb name as the one
we ship with. For all I care, it has won the battle. And most importantly, we
*can* ship that plugin while we can't ship the other. So the current MySQL
maintainers (Oracle) made the choice for us by not allowing us to ship the
plugin.

Make it difficult for people to use your software and they won't.