[Development] Qt modules, API changes and Qt 6

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Fri Feb 15 07:31:33 CET 2019

Summing up the discussion here. It looks like people overall agree that the pinned dependency approach (option 3) sounds better than what we currently have. The main concern was CI capacity, but Frederik believes that with enough storage capacity for build artefacts this will not be worse than what we have today with all the failed qt5.git integrations.

The only other option that was seriously considered was a more monolithic repo (option 4). Disadvantages here are that it would require more work on the CI front to make testing times bearable, and it doesn’t give us a very flexible approach with regards to adding/removing modules. This is something that option 3 will nicely give us, as it treats all repositories the same way. Option 3 does btw not exclude that we later on merge some repositories if we feel that makes sense.

So let’s go with option 3. Frederik will be leading the work to get this implemented.

As far as I can see, it requires some changes to CI so that we have the dependencies encoded in each repository, a bot to automatically push sha1’s of dependencies forward and some monitoring to alert us if modules get left behind.

Cheers,
Lars