[Development] "font emojis", where are they processed?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 23:50:30 CET 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to understand why Qt4 applications on Mac do not correctly display "font emojis" while they do on Linux. Qt5 apps are fine so I should be able to satisfy my curiosity from the Qt5/Mac implementation of the relevant code.

Is there a specific place in the code where these glyphs get special treatment? I notice that the glyphs appear to be rendered in the "Apple Colour Emoji" font when using the CoreText fontengine; the FreeType engine shows little B&W outline drawings.

An example string, from an email I received: "Heerlijk. 😇" (in quoted-printable: "Heerlijk. =F0=9F=98=87").

PS: this one shows up as 2 empty rectangles, and causes significant activity from the fontd.

Thanks,
R.