[Development] CMake Workshop Summary

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 17:17:51 CET 2019

Sorry for chiming in so late!

El miércoles, 13 de febrero de 2019 11:40:15 -03 Tor Arne Vestbø escribió:
> > On 13 Feb 2019, at 14:58, Kevin Funk via Development
> > <development at qt-project.org> wrote:

> > make it more difficult for distros to co-install the CMake config files
> > for different Qt versions.
>
> This sounds like a generally useful feature for distros to have, not just
> for major versions but for minor etc too?

Distro maintainer here, Debian in particular (and by waterfall effect, Ubuntu
et al).

Either removing the major or adding the minor is a call for problems for us.

Many of us still carry Qt4 [0], so removing the major might be problematic.

On the other hand adding the minor will surely mean we will need to patch code
in order to make it work.

If I remember correctly there is a way to check the minimum version of Qt the
project needs. Considering Qt's API/ABI stability for public headers, a
minimum version check is more than enough and will provide less friction
between developers and packagers.

[0] Not that we did not try it to remove it... <https://wiki.debian.org/
Qt4Removal>

--
...man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because
he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars and so on -- whilst all

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/