[Development] Branch for Qt 6

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Tue Jan 15 13:32:43 CET 2019

On 15 Jan 2019, at 13:18, Tor Arne Vestbø <Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io<mailto:Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io>> wrote:

On 15 Jan 2019, at 13:14, Allan Jensen <Allan.Jensen at qt.io<mailto:Allan.Jensen at qt.io>> wrote:

On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 12:22:11 CET Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:
On 15 Jan 2019, at 12:13, Allan Jensen <Allan.Jensen at qt.io<mailto:Allan.Jensen at qt.io>> wrote:

On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 12:06:17 CET Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:

On 15 Jan 2019, at 11:54, Lars Knoll <lars.knoll at qt.io<mailto:lars.knoll at qt.io>> wrote:

Ok, guess I misunderstood a bit. My idea was to keep ‘dev’ for 5.x
development and ‘qt6’ for Qt 6 related development. At some point (when
5.15 is branched) we’d basically rename qt6 to dev (because at that
point
there’s no 5.x anymore).

Okey, so we _will_ have parallel Qt 5 and Qt 6 feature development, and
in
that case need two “dev” branches.

I argue that instead of naming them ‘dev’ and ‘qt6’ like proposed, we
use
explicit names, either:

- 6.0 and 5.15 (if there’s no 6.1 branched 6.0 is “dev. If there’s no
5.16
branched, 5.15 is “dev”)

I prefer the idea of keeping dev and make it head of 5.x that very clearly

indicates we want new feature development in 5.x not in qt6.

At some point we _do_ want new feature development in Qt 6 (I presume). The
names we choose now will stick, let’s be a bit proactive.

At that point qt6 will become dev, and later 6.0 and dev?

No, because Qt 5 will still have overlapping “dev” work according to Lars, so we can’t rename it to ‘dev’.

We can (and should) rename it to dev once the last 5.x version (presumably 5.15) reaches feature freeze (ie. in a year from now).

Cheers,
Lars