[Development] Branch for Qt 6

Tor Arne Vestbø Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io
Tue Jan 15 14:00:50 CET 2019

> On 15 Jan 2019, at 13:52, Lars Knoll <lars.knoll at qt.io> wrote:
>

>> On 15 Jan 2019, at 13:44, Kari Oikarinen <kari.oikarinen at qt.io> wrote:
>>
>> An alternative way of seeing (and perhaps handling) is in the same way as we
>> handle feature branches. The qt6/6/next/whatever branch would be for development
>> that can't be put into dev yet as it is not suitable for the 5.x releases.
>> Everything that is suitable for 5.x would still go to dev. Once the last minor
>> version of the 5 series of releases freezes, dev is open for 6.x stuff. Then the
>> qt6/6/next branch would be merged into dev and deleted.
>
> Yes, that’s what it would be in practice.

Except we can’t merge ‘qt6’ into ‘dev’ until 5.15 has been branched, and we’ll branch off 6.0 before that, so unlike a normal feature branch that gets merged into a release branch, and then released, we would then release directly from a feature branch (qt6).

If we already know we’re going to release Qt 6, we can skip the feature branch and just set up the branch matching the long term solution _now_.

Tor Arne '