[Development] Qt 5.13 feature freeze is getting closer

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jan 18 03:36:39 CET 2019

On Thursday, 17 January 2019 18:23:53 PST Kevin Kofler wrote:
> One discussion point that I miss here is whether spyware tooling should ever
> become a Qt component in the first place, independently of the outcome of
> the code and API reviews.

The difference between spyware and legitimate telemetry is the use it's put on
and that can be said of almost all technology too. An opt-in solution, with a
link to a good privacy policy probably doesn't count as spyware. The Clear
Linux installer, for example, asks you if you want to turn telemetry on, but
the checkbox is unchecked by default.[1]

And if Qt Creator as built by The Qt Company ever builds in telemetry support,
remember the The Qt Company is subject to the GPDR.

[1] if you turn telemetry on, the system will send our team anonymised crash
backtraces, for example. Weekly, we review the crashes reported and see if we
can fix it. I'm already fed up with seeing g_variant_* stuff crashing...