[Development] Qt6: Adding UTF-8 storage support to QString

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jan 22 17:27:09 CET 2019

On Tuesday, 22 January 2019 06:49:51 PST Jason H wrote:
> typedef QSymbolSequence<QLatin1Char> QLatin1String;
> typedef QSymbolSequence<QRawChar> QByteArray;
> typedef QSymbolSequence<QUtf8Char> QByteArray;
> typedef QSymbolSequence<QUtf16Char> QString;
>
> So they can have the same API? It really seems to me that the issue is
> storage, not that they need a different API to operate on the storage.

That QSymbolSequence template class does not exist and is not easy to
implement. Storage is not the problem, it's actually the algorithms that
operate on and transform the contents. They'd have to be rewritten for each of
the four.

Go ahead and give it a try, though. This may also be what SG16 intends for
C++23, so it may be an interesting trial run.