[Development] Qt6: Adding UTF-8 storage support to QString

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 23 16:53:04 CET 2019

On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 07:25:44 PST Jason H wrote:
> > From: "Arnaud Clère" <arnaud.clere at minmaxmedical.com>
> >
> > > And I don't want to add QUtf8String until SG16's char8_t gets settled.
> > > It'll probably be settled by C++20, which means we can probably work on
> > > this during Qt 6 lifetime, possibly even 6.1 or 6.2.>
> > It makes sense to avoid future incompatibilities with the standard but
> > fortunately Qt sometimes chooses to solve real problems ahead in time
> > ;-)
> Well C++20 is really how many months away? Qt6 won't be released until when?

Give me the exact answers and I'll tell you if we can have this in Qt 6.0.

The fact you can't is the problem: they're too much in flux and too close to
each other for us to be able to accept char8_t as an established functionality
that won't change by a later paper and design a solution for Qt 6.0. If we're
lucky, we can do it. More likely, we'll have to wait a bit, possibly even for
a compiler to implement it.