[Development] Proposal: New branch model

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Wed Jan 23 23:24:51 CET 2019

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 06:36:43PM +0000, Alex Blasche wrote:
> At the end of the day each cherry-pick is a merge too and they can
> conflict too. The conflict resolution process is still the same. if
> everything is conflict free then a git merge would be no more
> difficult than a cherry-pick.

Correct. But with a cherry-pick based model it can be decided
case by case on how far "merging" backwards makes sense, based
on costs and benefits for each individual hop.

I think this has the potential to ease the overall pain compared
to having to decide on a target branch without knowing the cost
of the then-obligatory merge forward.

Andre'