[Development] Proposal: New branch model

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Thu Jan 24 10:33:44 CET 2019

On Donnerstag, 24. Januar 2019 10:13:32 CET Edward Welbourne wrote:
> OK, now you're just engaging in ill-informed FUD.
> Cherry-picks do not involve any three-way anything.
> You clearly do not understand the difference between merging and
> cherry-picking.
>
> A cherry-pick takes the diff involved in one commit and patches another
> check-out with it.  A merge uses the digraph of commits in sophisticated
> ways; a cherry-pick does not.

They do on my machine when I do git git cherry-picks. I do that about a
hundred times every month when maintaining qtwebengine, and I use the three
way diff to resolve conflicts. They way I avoid the three way diff getting
useless is by resetting the chromium fork regularly, so there is always a
nearest common ancestor at the last fork point.

Git performs merges and cherry-picks the same way, the main difference is how
they are recorded in the history, where merges provide a better history to do
future merges and cherry-picks on.

'Allan