[Development] Proposal: New branch model (part: new contributors)

Jedrzej Nowacki Jedrzej.Nowacki at qt.io
Thu Jan 24 14:55:25 CET 2019

Dnia środa, 23 stycznia 2019 18:09:31 CET Alex Blasche pisze:
> > - simpler for new contributors, always push to dev
>
> Really? Me being the new guy wanting to fix a bug in 5.12 need to magically
> know that I have to push to dev and know about a magic cherry-pick logic
> and a magic tag in the commit log. Right now I need to know I want to fix
> in 512 and push to it. Also the current model does not bother the new guy
> with myriads of potentially following cherry-picks which may require a
> larger commitment than he is willing to give.

Really, at least that is my latest experience, when I contributed a fix to
python standard library. I was trying to understand the branching model just
to read that I should not bother and push stuff to master, there it was the
reviewer responsibility to cherry-pick the change to other branches based on
the content. I have to admit that I was impressed how easy is to make the first
time contribution to the project. In our case, gerrit allows you to change
commit message online in the browser, that makes reviewing / re-targeting
task easier and less prone to errors (case of accidental re-push to a wrong
branch after bot moving it). You are assuming that the contributor knows that
the fix has to be and can be in 5.12. Well, that may be the case, some will
have no clue and be fine with any future release.

If a new contributor pushes to a wrong branch sanity bot would warn and allow
you to move it to dev.

> The entire bot logic section below is another non-implicit logic.

What do you mean? As you do not target 5.X.Z, I would call it quite implicit
:-).

Cheers,
  Jedrek