[Development] Proposal: New branch model

Jedrzej Nowacki Jedrzej.Nowacki at qt.io
Thu Jan 24 15:11:23 CET 2019

Dnia środa, 23 stycznia 2019 21:47:16 CET Edward Welbourne pisze:
> On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 11:01:53 PST Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
> >> I think that’s fine. What’s much worse is having a fix in 5.12 and not
> >> knowing how to deal with the merge conflicts into dev. That means dev
> >> might
> >> regress, unless whoever authored the change is willing to spend time on
> >> making it work. In the end, if contributors can’t own their changes for
> >> all
> >> various branches of Qt, then I much prefer for them to own the changes at
> >> least for dev. And with Qt 6, this will become a much bigger problem.
>
> Thiago Macieira (23 January 2019 20:10)
>
> > The problem is I can turn this around and say that we introduce
> > regressions
> > into the older branches due to an improper cherry-pick that didn't
> > conflict.
> and *that* is a concern that does bother me.
> Of course, it's got to pass integration, as well as not conflict,
> but that doesn't guarantee it hasn't broken something.

Of course, but it is not a regression to the current system, we have the
problem currently, right? We can introduce a regression in a release branch by
merging and cherry-picking without conflicts. On the other hand logic that
doesn't apply cleanly has a higher chances of introducing bugs and therefore
higher chance of causing release problems. These changes are more visible in
gerrit as opposite to somehow opaque merges. So in my opinion it is an
improvement.

Cheers,
  Jędrek