[Development] Proposal: New branch model

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Fri Jan 25 14:17:15 CET 2019

On 25 Jan 2019, at 10:10, Simon Hausmann <Simon.Hausmann at qt.io<mailto:Simon.Hausmann at qt.io>> wrote:
>> I think it's worthwhile to develop the tooling to automate
>> cherry-picking. That tooling is something that is perhaps best tried
>> on a release branch first.
>>
>> I do quite like what Allan suggested: We could try the cherry-pick
>>the other way around. Volker, Lars, Thiago etc. surely remember the
>>p4i script we used to have when we were using Perforce. Imagine that
>>with more automation.

Lars Knoll (25 January 2019 11:08)
> The risk with this is that we might end up having fixes in a stable
> branch that don’t make it do dev for various reasons, so it’ll regress
> in the next minor release.

It should be fairly trivial to ensure we tag the cherry-picks in such a
way that some routine script can alert relevant folk to ones that
haven't been sorted out within a month, or before the next release on
the branch they targeted.  I think this is less of a reason to worry
than you suppose.

	Eddy.