[Development] Qt6: Adding UTF-8 storage support to QString

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Fri Jan 25 17:54:38 CET 2019

25.01.2019, 01:02, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>:
> On Thursday, 24 January 2019 05:06:58 PST Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>>  I will be officially pissed off if possibility to access raw data of QString
>>  without extra copy is gone It would be better if there is a way to figure
>>  out internal storage encoding (e.g. isUtf16()) and access raw data
>
> How often do you need that, oustide of QString itself? And maybe a few
> efficient QtCore classes? (QCborValue comes to mind)

Each time I need to interact efficiently with extenal code which isn't Qt-based,
e.g. WebKit, ICU. In particular, this extra copy would certainly degrade
performance of QtWebKit.

Oh and you've mentioned CBOR, this implies that it won't be possible for Qt
users to make efficient implementation of a different serialization format.

--
Regards,
Konstantin