[Development] Proposal: New branch model

Jedrzej Nowacki Jedrzej.Nowacki at qt.io
Mon Jan 28 14:37:47 CET 2019

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:35:51 PM CET Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> We can't integrate multiple changes to the same branch in parellel. So you
> can't start using more resources to speed things up. (9 women to have a
> child in 1 month) The only way to speed up CI integration is to be merging
> to different branches, that way we CAN have multiple integrations running
> in parallel.

Well, I can use more resources. We can build on stronger machines CPU limits
are quite arbitrary. We could build tests during build phase (it means more
CPU power, Aapo is currently pushing the task forward). In the end we could
execute tests on multiple machines (it is an old idea, that was just down-
prioritized).

/side note:  The fact that we do not run multiple integration in parallel for
one branch is super annoying to me, it is just waste of time, we should change
it. As far I know we are doing it only to avoid potential breakages caused by
two concurrent change, in my opinion cost / gain ratio is terrible. Again that
is another discussion.

Cheers,
  Jędrek