[Development] Qt modules, API changes and Qt 6

Alex Blasche alexander.blasche at qt.io
Tue Jan 29 11:07:55 CET 2019

>From: Development <development-bounces at qt-project.org> on behalf of Frederik Gladhorn <Frederik.Gladhorn at qt.io>

2 Heads: use the latest revision of each branch (the system we used to have in
the past)

>3 Modules containing pinned dependency sha1s
>        Each module is completely self-contained, that means qt5 is not
>required as such (but may still exist as a collection of all modules, for
>convenience and releases). In each module we have a list of dependencies and
>their sha1.
>        Updates for a release (and also otherwise) must happen regularly (e.g.
>nightly), moving each module forward towards newer dependencies, this would be
>implemented as bot which updates the above mentioned requirements file.

I like this one. As you mentioned, we kind of had it already with sync.profiles.And really, if you implement this option you can almost implicitly run option 2 above too. In fact some modules might even want to do that if you permit SHA definition based on HEAD of some other repo/branch.

 There is one big question though. I vaguely recall one of the reasons for going to today's model was to limit the number of potential builds. This model could have 10 different modules/repos using different SHA's for all of its dependencies. Doesn't this increase the amount of different module builds which you have to store for later CI runs or build e.g. qtbase more often? Do we have the capacity/storage for it?

--
Alex