[Development] Moving to Gerrit 2.16.9

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Fri Jul 5 15:43:02 CEST 2019

On fredag 28. juni 2019 17:29:29 CEST Mutz, Marc wrote:
>> I don't know whether there's a plugin for that, but a feature that
>> would really benefit a lot of Qt devs would be if Gerrit would
>> understand whether the Merge Conflict is due to a prerequisite commit
>> not having been merged, yet, or whether there's really a conflicting
>> commit merged.

... and, in the latter case, whether it's a conflicting commit that's
been integrated already or merely one that's in the current staging
branch ahead of the one we're trying to stage.

>> It kind of knows already, since it shows which other
>> commits conflict with the current one, if any, but it still shows
>> Merge Conflict for missing prerequisite commits. It would be totally
>> cool if instead of Merge Conflict, it would show Prerequisite Missing
>> (e.g.).
>>
>> And then, going into dream mode, if one could add a prerequisite
>> manually, across modules, so that a, say, qtdeclarative change could
>> track a qtbase one and show Prerequisite Missing until the qtbase
>> commit has been merged _and integrated_ in qt5.
>>
>> Don't know how hard this would be to implement, or if it's possible
>> at all.

Likewise dreaming: actually tell me which commit I'm conflicting with !

Frederik Gladhorn (1 July 2019 16:28) replied:
> I agree that merge commits are confusing. In general I'd say the
> dependency tracking is not always super clear in the new UI.

Indeed.

> The merge conflict detection is part of Gerrit core, there are no
> plugins that go so deep as far as I know. Improving that should
> clearly be done upstream, in Gerrit core.
>
> If anyone wants to contribute, this kind of improvement should be
> welcome.

	Eddy.