[Development] Oslo, we have a problem</apollo 13> [char8_t]

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jul 8 04:43:53 CEST 2019

On Sunday, 7 July 2019 23:26:40 -03 Konstantin Ritt wrote:
> As we have string views now, I'd vote for deprecating the string
> manipulation methods in QByteArray. I doubt we could make QByteArray a true
> vector of bytes now, without breaking lots of the user code, but that could
> be a good first step.

We don't have any good 8-bit string manipulation functions outside of
QByteArray. They stay.

The question is whether the Latin1 methods (toUpper(), toLower() and the free
function qstricmp) should be moved or removed. Those would work really well in
QLatin1String, but QLatin1String is a view, since it doesn't own the data.
QLatin1String::toUpper() could return a QByteArray...