[Development] Oslo, we have a problem</apollo 13> [char8_t]

Mutz, Marc marc at kdab.com
Mon Jul 8 12:06:33 CEST 2019

Hi,

Before this gets any more traction: Aye! for QUtf8String, nay for the
implementation.

On 2019-07-08 09:46, Arnaud Clere wrote:
> //! Explicitely utf8 encoded byte array
> class QUtf8String : public QByteArray
> {
> public:
>     using QByteArray::QByteArray;
>     QUtf8String(const QByteArray& o) : QByteArray(o) {}
>     QUtf8String() : QByteArray() {}
> };

Whenever we have publicly derived one value type from another, we've
created a mess. QPolygon : QVector (qvector_msvc.h), QStringList : QList
(QListSpecialMethods), QItemSelection : QList
(qHash(QItemselectionRange)), QMutex : QBasicMutex (invalid casts in
QMutexLocker), ...

So no, no more inheriting of value classes from each other. QUtf8String,
if it comes, will have to be a separate type, not a subclass of
QByteArray.

Thanks,
Marc