[Development] char8_t summary?

Mutz, Marc marc at kdab.com
Wed Jul 10 11:29:15 CEST 2019

On 2019-07-10 10:50, Arnaud Clere wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So, do I understand correctly that:
> 1. QUtf8String may be required in Qt7 to solve problems due to C++2x
> char8_t

I wouldn't say required. I also don't think it needs to wait until Qt 7.
Qt 7 is where we may depend on C++20 and can use char8_t in the
interface and implementation, but we should certainly not wait for that
to add the class. It's certainly a good idea, IMO, to have views and
owning containers that operate on L1, UTF-8 and UTF-16 strings. The
views are more important.

> 2. QByteArray methods currently operating on latin1 may be restricted
> to ascii in Qt6 to avoid problems when const char* input really is
> utf8

I have no opinion on that.

> 3. QLatin1String may become QLatin1StringView by Qt7

Qt 6. We can add the name as an alias now, make QLatin1String an owning
container for Qt 6.0 (it breaks no code, just makes it slower, and the
port is trivial), and QLatin1StringView becomes what QLatin1String is
now.

> 4. These classes will be independent except maybe for a common internal
> class

Yes. Or separate instantiations of the same class template. They also
should convert to QByteArray. Just not by public inheritance.

Thannks,
Marc