[Development] char8_t summary?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Jul 13 13:30:28 CEST 2019

On Friday, 12 July 2019 12:27:58 -03 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > And if we want to make use of the fact that a string
> > is UTF-8, the templates won't work.
>
> Eh? char8_t is a detectable and distinct type. (Wasn't that the whole
> point of this thread?) So is QUtf8String if such a thing were to come
> into existence.

I didn't mean we can't write templates.

I meant that at the end of the implementation, you've got two distinct
functions: one for Latin1/US-ASCII* and one for UTF-8, whether you used
templates or not. So the template didn't buy you much.

[*] US-ASCII under "out of range characters are UB", which allows us to simply
use Latin1. Or UTF-8.