[Development] Deprecation/removal model going into Qt 6

Manuel Bergler berglerma at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 01:01:39 CEST 2019

Am Mo., 3. Juni 2019 um 00:09 Uhr schrieb Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:

> What you call "obsolete functionality" is functionality that existing code
> relies on and rightfully expects to remain there.
>
> I'd rather get fewer (or even no) new features than losing existing ones.
>
> See also Boudewijn Rempt's blog post on the subject:
> https://valdyas.org/fading/hacking/happy-porting/

I fully disagree with the sentiment in that blog post. If you don't
want to port, fine, but then also use whatever version of Qt you were
using before and don't try to use the latest and greatest. Technology
evolves, deal with it. With hardware no one seems to have the
expectation that you can take your 10 year old desktop computer and
just replace the CPU with a state-of-the-art version. Why should
software be different? Why should everyone have to pay just so some
people unwilling to invest minimal effort to maintain their 10+ year
old code-base can use the newest version of Qt?

Best
Manuel