[Development] Deprecation/removal model going into Qt 6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jun 3 17:44:24 CEST 2019

On Monday, 3 June 2019 04:34:27 PDT Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Imagine the
> chaos if Intel or AMD decided to remove some random "obsolete" x86
> instructions from their CPUs! x86 has kept backwards compatibility with
> every single instruction for more than 30 years.

And yet, we can look at this exactly as an example: if you set the CPU to long
mode (a.k.a., 64-bit mode), then a LOT of previously obsolete instructions are
dropped, especially those that were 1-byte opcodes.

This is akin to what we're looking for here: if you opt in to greater and
newer things, we can drop obsolete things you've had years (or decades, in the
case of CPU) to port away from.