[Development] Qt 5 types under consideration for deprecation / removal in Qt 6

Philippe philwave at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 07:56:21 CEST 2019

On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 22:41:31 +0200
"Mutz, Marc via Development" <development at qt-project.org> wrote:

> That QThread is-a QObject has caused problems in the past. How to use
> QThread correctly has been the source of much discussion (e.g.
> https://blog.qt.io/blog/2010/06/17/youre-doing-it-wrong/), and any
> thread can have an event loop via QEventLoop. But, yes, QThread probably
> needs to stay around longer. That shouldn't mean it does so forever. I
> think std::thread is much easier to use and understand, and with
> QEventLoop supporting it already, I don't feel much attachment to
> QThread anymore.

QThread should on the contrary stay "forever".

QThread has no flaw and doesn't match your (good) recent definition of a
need for deprecation.

On the contrary, it has a more capable interface than std:: thread,
thanks to its QObject inheritance. IOW, it connects perfectly inside a
Qt application. I believe Qt users expect this consistency.

And concerning the QThread link you mention, it should be compensated by
Olivier Goffart's paper https://woboq.com/blog/qthread-you-were-not-doing-so-wrong.html
Having two ways of doing something can be seen as flexibility rather than design
flaw.

Several of your proposals are about removing some "very-Qt" classes,
 to replace them by std classes.
On the contrary, I believe these Qt classes, when they have
no flaw, should better continue to be improved compared to std.

Philippe